SEWU of THOUSAND TEMPLE
Temple is located 2 km north of Prambanan Temple. This is the second
largest Buddhist Temple complex in Java; Restoration is professionally
underway to reach its original form. It is a MANDALA, manifesting
the universe in the center temple of Mahadeva, surrounded by four
rings of 250 smaller temples of Gods. Sewu Temple complex is located
in Prambanan Temple Park area, about 800 meters to the north of
Rara Jongrang Temples. The fact that this temple was built near
Prambanan Temple, which is a Hindu temple, indicated that the Hindus
and Buddhists lived in harmony.
The main temple has 1 main room and 4 small rooms
of which are doorways to the temple. The east door serves as main
door to the main room. That way, the main temple faces to the east.
The structure has 9 'roofs'; each of them forms a stupa on the top.
It is believed to be a royal temple and was one of the religious
activity centers in the past. Based on the inscription dated back
to 792 AD, which was found in 1960, the name of the temple complex
was probably "Manjus'rigrha" (The House of Manjusri).
Manjusri is one of Boddhisatva in Buddhist teaching. Sewu Temple
was probably built in the 8th century at the end of Rakai Panangkaran
administration. Rakai Panangkaran (746 AD - 784 AD) was a popular
king from the old Mataram kingdom. HC Cornelius studied the temple
firstly in 1807. NJ Krom did the first archeological study in 1923.